Midlandcommunity.ca member update- Sept/2011
Hi to all:
We hope everyone had a great summer. Your steering team has been busy reviewing Midland Town spending from the year 2000 through to current. The results in a word, “ALARMING”.
We will be addressing Council on October 24th by way of a deputation, on the subject matter, “The Case for Controlling Midland Town Spending”.
Some quick highlights:
1) Taxes per household increased 82% during 2000-2009-(CPI= 20%)
2) On top of this inflated base, we witnessed 2010 and 2011 budget spending increases of 5% and 5.5% respectively.
3) The Town’s full time staff compliment increased 39% from 2000-2009
4) 2011 water and sewer charges increased 14%
5) Those fortunate enough to have wages or pensions fully indexed to the CPI are paying Midland taxes today that have increased 93% since 2000 out of an income that has risen only 26%. Sadly, someone on a fixed or diminishing income is worse off still.
All of this while our population growth was a mere 5% from 2000-2009. We must ask ourselves, why do people choose to move to Penetanguishene, Wasaga Beach, Tiny, Collingwood, Orillia, Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, to name but a few at a much healthier rate? Might it have something to do with local taxes?
As you can imagine this will not be a popular topic with some members of Council as it clearly portrays a failing grade. We therefore need your support to come out and attend the meeting on the 24th of October. We also request you direct friends and acquaintances to our web site and get them connected.
Let’s get involved and help a better future arrive ahead of schedule.
Roy Ellis on behalf of your steering team.