Just 8 days left before midlandcommunity.ca makes a formal presentation to Council on the need to control local taxes; we need your support on the 24th. Additionally, a very critical budget meeting will be held this Thursday, Oct 20th at 5:30pm, which you should also plan to attend. Currently the fluid 2012 budget calls for a 7.2% spending increase. The town still has an appetite to fund new activity, buy a new fire truck and add additional staff; these initiatives have to be STOPPED or deferred until our local economic picture improves and our taxes fall in line with competing communities. When you look at this chart, you will note that Midland holds the distinction of being the highest taxed community in Simcoe County on a home valued at $300,000-.
1) High local taxes hurt the poor in our community most!
2) High local taxes stymie business development and population growth!
3) High local taxes effects your property values and your ability to sell!
4) High local taxes hurt those on fixed income!
5) High local taxes put an added burden on young adults, often carrying 2-3 part time jobs, most without benefits!
ACCEPTABLE SPENDING INCREASE FOR 2012, 2013, 2014 = 0%