Positing Running For: Ward 1 Councillor
I am running for Midland Town Council because…
As an Engineering and Planning professional, I have practical ideas for solving some of our community’s challenges. I also want to share the ideas of residents, community groups and other professionals. We’re stronger when everyone’s voice is heard!
My vision for Midland is…
My vision for Midland is that it can be even more beautiful and vibrant if Council focusses on economic development using policy and more than just catchphrases. We can create revenue from green energy and conservation projects, and promote a better quality of life with a network of sidewalks and trails that link Little Lake Park to Georgian Bay and everything in between!
I will accomplish this vision by focusing on the following three things…
- Incentives for high-tech, green and e-commerce businesses, while also making Midland enticing for entrepreneurs and investors. Urban intensification can help strengthen our downtown core.
- Sustainability initiatives such as green energy projects and conservation projects, with which I have experience. Pedestrians could get where they need to – downtown, waterfront, parks and places of work – using safe and comfortable sidewalks and paths. These also help support a healthier community and local culture through visitation to venues and cultural events.
- Community engagement, customer service and government accessibility using everyday technologies, such as apps for smartphones that instantly report problems, locate potholes and poison ivy, or simply to share ideas. Easy to use websites, e-mail and Twitter are also a great way to share information.
Describe your top three accomplishments that make you a good candidate for Council. For current or previous members of council, please focus on your top three in that role.
- Active volunteerism with Community Living Huronia, Ontario Special Olympics and Huronia Soccer Club.
- President of the Engineering and Society Student Association, demonstrating leadership.
- Work with innovative technology and engineering companies that solve municipal problems and create ideal jobs for the future – the kind that Midland needs! – and secured funds for the brownfield remediation at Ojibwa Landing.
Read Other Candidate Responses: