Candidates For Council Answer Questions That Matter
MidlandCommunity.ca invited all candidates running for Council in this year’s election to respond to four important questions. We believe the answers provide all voters with additional information to make a more informed decision on who is best suited to lead Midland to a better and brighter future. When you cast your vote on October 22nd, please consider the best talent capable of getting Midland back to work through an unrelenting focus on supporting those things that matter most.
Running For: Councillor Ward 1
I am running for Midland Town Council because…
I enjoy serving the public, I was a public servant with the Canadian Coast Guard for 35 years; I have been served on the Georgian Bay Metis Council for 8 years, about 5 of those were as Chairperson. I found this to be a good experience, I want to try something more challenging were I can work for the greater good of all Citizens. I have been a Midland resident for 60 years, I have always been proud to have come from such a great town
My vision for Midland is...
to keep taxes and water rates low making it more affordable for everyone. To work with the other Councillors to maintain and bring in new opportunities to keep Midland thriving, a great place to work and a better place to live. To insure our Council is transparent
I will accomplish this vision by focusing on the following three things:
- By voting in a financial responsible way, avoiding tax and rate increases
- By working as a team member of the Council, working for the greater good and not a select group
- Working hard, educating myself to the needs of the Citizens of Midland by being available and getting out and asking questions
Describe your top three accomplishments that make you a good candidate for Council. For current or previous members of council, please focus on your top three as a council member:
- I was able to bring up to 25 Metis Youth to Camp Kitchikewana on Beausoleil Island for 8 years in a row. I was always able to secure funding either by doing fundraising events to apply for corporate sponsorships. We always managed to bring all the Youth who applied.
- 8 years on the Georgian Bay Metis Council, worked as a team of volunteers to bring events, Sat on the Cultural Advisory Circle for Georgian Bay Islands National Parks, Children’s Welfare Advisory Circle,
- Became a Search and Rescue Trainer for the Canadian Coast Guard, developing Transition Training Course for Search and Rescue Stations. Traveled across Canada delivering the course. Received the Directors Accommodation Award
Back to Candidate List