Candidates For Council Answer Questions That Matter
MidlandCommunity.ca invited all candidates running for Council in this year’s election to respond to four important questions. We believe the answers provide all voters with additional information to make a more informed decision on who is best suited to lead Midland to a better and brighter future. When you cast your vote on October 22nd, please consider the best talent capable of getting Midland back to work through an unrelenting focus on supporting those things that matter most.
Running For: Councillor Ward 2
I am running for Midland Town Council because…
Eight years ago I said “Town hall should exist to serve the citizens of the town; the citizens of the town do not exist to finance the ambitions of Town hall.” A Town is more than its physical infrastructure, more than roads, water and waste water; a town is its people.
As a councilor I have fought to instill a new sense of fiscal responsibility, to contain cost and tax growth and to focus on economic development. I pushed for greater cooperation between the Townships and helped to create and secure financing for the EDCNS. I have fought budget battles to reduce waste and inefficiencies while preserving the services.
My vision for Midland is...
I see a town that encourages investment and job growth by limiting the needless red tape and regulations that tend to stifle creativity and investment; a town that demonstrates respect for its citizens by controlling cost and tax growth.
With our fiscal and regulatory house in order we can build a town that is inviting and enjoyable. We can finally achieve the goal of having the water available to everyone by investing in the proposed kilometer long boardwalk and trail on the shore of Midland Bay Landing. We can have a town that is walkable, sustainable, safe and pleasant.
I will accomplish this vision by focusing on the following three things:
- Focusing on fiscally responsible budgets.
- Supporting our Economic and Tourism development efforts.
- Searching for better ways to provide our services in a more efficient and effective manner.
Describe your top three accomplishments that make you a good candidate for Council. For current or previous members of council, please focus on your top three as a council member:
- Member of the OPP Costing committee which recommended to Council a better and more effective means of delivering police services.
- As chair of the Governance committee that has developed a more efficient, effective and responsive way to govern our town.
- As a member of council I have always fought to ensure that we deliver our services in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
Back to Candidate List